UNION OF JEWISH WOMEN
Founded in 1931 with the aim and objective of giving service to both Jewish and other communities, the UJWSA provided welfare projects during the depression years and later during the racially restrictive period of the National Party rule.
The organisation offered skills training in Centres of Concern, funded educational programmes, established crèches and nursery schools in Black and Coloured areas and empowered disadvantaged sections of society to find employment and to become self-sufficient. Many projects are self-sustaining and are still operational today.
By the late 1940's and early 1950's the UJWSA had established branches in major cities and also in many smaller towns.
The UJWSA maintains contact and networks with both diverse and like-minded organisations and provides a platform for interaction and understanding.
The Union of Jewish Women of South Africa is committed to investing in the people of South Africa and will continue in its endeavours to create a better quality of life for all.
Ichikowitz Family Foundation contributes to their ‘MEALS on WHEELS’ and ‘GRANNY’s and CHILDHEADED HOUSEHOLD’ programmes each month.